Fabien Arca remembers “spaghetti with lipstick” from his childhood
Christian Dorsan, author, blogger etc associate of the 20 Minutes Books reader group, recommends Spaghetti with rose by Fabien Arce, published on January 13, 2022 by Éditions Espaces 34 and selected among Nuggets for the best junior novel (ages 7-11) at Book and print fair for young peoplefrom November 30 to December 5 in Montreuil.
His favorite quote:
Mon Plumeau, you know, a mother never leaves completely, she always remains there, in the heart of her child. It is also the magic of the mother that must go.
Why this book?
- Because this book is touching. The little boy Plumeau is very affected by his mother’s departure, Fabien Arca describes precisely and in a few words the feeling of abandonment. There is no excess in the idleness of this little boy, but a lot of simplicity and calligrams that lead us into his discomfort.
- Because dad plays an important role, and it is he who will “cure” Plumeau of melancholy with play, imagination and laughter. Perhaps this is the birth of a father-son bond?
- Because children’s books sometimes have virtues or are examples. With this book, the young reader will learn that dad can replace mom at a certain moment and that mom, no matter where she is, is never separated from her children.
The most important in 2 minutes
Action. A man facing the ocean remembers that as a child his oceanographer mother went on a mission and that her departure made him lose his appetite.
Characters. Clean up a little boy, his oceanographer mom and his dream dad.
Places. The city and the ocean.
Time. Right now.
Author. Fabien Arca is a playwright for children. Awarded multiple times, he also writes radio dramas for France Inter.
This book was read with tenderness. Fabien Arca has the talent to tell a simple story and bring to life a child’s sadness. For children aged 6-8 years.
Would you like to recommend a book that you particularly liked? Join our community by clicking to go
20 minutes of context
Some of the links in this article are sponsored. Every time you buy a book through one of them, we get a commission that helps pay our bills. In order to avoid any conflict of interest, we adopted the following method:
1. Section contributors independently select their books, create their own files and reviews, without worrying about the links that will be added.
2. Links are added subsequently, every time we find a recommended product on one of our partner platforms.
Thanks in advance to everyone who clicks!